Sunday, August 20, 2006

Some pictures

Hello,
Thought I'd update you all with some pictures. This goes way back so bear with me.

The first one is of Court No. 1 at Wimbledon. It was taken from my bedroom window - for a couple weeks we could hear smatterings of applause, crowd roars and the occaisional grunt from across the way. For the 2 weeks our sleepy village of Southfields was transformed into a sea of tourists. They even spruced up our normally drab tube station with luxuroius 'carpet' and regal 'benches'! Don't worry, it was all taken down soon after the event. I was going to attempt heading over to take in a game or so, but it would have meant arising at an ungodly hour and queuing for the majority of the day, and missing said day of work. There were loads of people camping out on the sidewalk for _days_ before the event started. They must really like their tennis. Perhaps next year I'll try to make it in.



About a month ago my landlord/flatmate Rachel and I went down to Farnborough for 'The Largest Airshow in the British Isles!'. It was a pretty miserable day weatherwise but the show itself was good fun. Highlights included the new Airbus A380 (Featuring the Rolls Royce Trent 900 jet engines, which our group did some work on). It's massive, and, apparently, quite maneouverable.


The A380 performing a steep banked turn at extremely low altitude


The A380 relaxing after it's air demonstration.

Apart from that the airshow featured your normal range of military jets and helicopters doing insane stunts. The Red Arrows, Britain's answer to our Snowbirds, were quite impressive and ended the day with a team parachute jump. Complete with smoke!



Enough about that. Also as I've mentioned I've gotten my new bike and had it for a couple weeks now. I figure I put about 200km on it per week (160km commuting plus weekends) and it's treated me well so far. It's nice and light and fast - really fun to ride. One of these days I'm going to go down to the local Velodrome (only about 4km away!) and get absolutely embarrased by the actual atheletes - should be a good time. ;)


My new steed


Also new: I'm now an Uncle! Last week my sister-in-law Margot bore a beautiful baby boy, Joshua. He's Ultra-Cute! Best wishes to the new family there - I can't wait until Christmastime to see the little (and I use the term 'little' loosely) guy!



Yesterday was Sean and Jodi's wedding. I was hoping to make it back for that, but a combination of flight times/costs and deadlines at work made it impossible. SO sorry I could be there guys, I hope you had a great day and CONGRATULATIONS! I presume that the party is still going on at this hour - Cheers!

That's it for now. Talk to you all soon,
Love
Dan in London

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark & Margot said...

Hey Dan,

Great post, I'm sure you had a blast at the airshow. And that's a sweet looking ride! Your old one is treating me just fine.

Joshua is doing fine now at home (it's been one day so far) and last night wasn't too bad. He only woke up twice. That will change.

Well, it's off to bath time for Joshua.

Cheers

2:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Dan -

Guess it's safe to assume your internet connection is once again healthy. - about time.

You've done a good job of nicely catching up since your last post.
Mom is staying in Barrie for a few days to lend a hand, and I just returned to take care of the pup and the homestead. Chloe was really good while in Barrie but can't really let her outside on her own like here. Mark & Margot's place looks great with grass in place, and Mark finally has used the Lee Valley lawnmower. Cool here today (18) and looks like rain. Take care,

Dad

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your baby nephew is adorable!! just wait until your home and can hold him..he's so big and so tiny at the same time.
Glad to hear you're doing so well and i'll be lurking around here to hear updates on you from now on. (or update me at nikibergey@gmail.com)

lots of love
Niki Burr (isn't that weird?)

4:00 PM  
Blogger Mark & Margot said...

very wierd

4:31 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

very. weird.

going to prague this weekend. i'll post pictures.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home